Setting up a new Cloudflare account
If you already have a domain name but do not have a Cloudflare account, start here.
- Sign up for a new Cloudflare account
- Provide your domain name
- Choose the free plan
- Cloudflare will scan your DNS records and allow you to review your settings. Clear any existing records (click Delete).
- Add a new
CNAMErecord with the name "@" and the target
cname.service.pinecast.com. Proxy status should be enabled.
- If you'd also like to support the "www" version of your domain, create a new
CNAMErecord with the name "www" and the target
cname.service.pinecast.com. Proxy status should also be enabled.
- Click Continue
- Follow the instructions for logging in to your domain registrar and setting your nameservers. Your registrar is the company that you purchased the domain through.
- Click Done, check nameservers
- Cloudflare will notify you when your domain is set up.
At this point, your domain should be ready to use. Be sure to set your domain name in the Site Builder settings so Pinecast knows which domain to match with your podcast website.
Setting up a domain already on Cloudflare with Pinecast
To use a custom domain name with Cloudflare, first log in to your account and visit the domain that you wish to point at Pinecast.
Along the top, choose the DNS section:
In the DNS section, start by removing any records that may conflict with your domain. If you're setting up
yourdomain.com to work with Pinecast, you'll want to remove any A, AAAA, or CNAME records that already show
yourdomain.com for the name. If you're setting up
subdomain.yourdomain.com to work with Pinecast, remove any of those record types for
Next, add a new record with the following settings:
- Type: CNAME
If you'd like to use Pinecast with a subdomain, use
- TTL: Automatic TTL
- Proxy status: Enabled
Repeat the above steps with the name
www to make
www.yourdomain.com work. You must have both your root domain (
yourdomain.com) as well as the
www variant pointed at Pinecast to correctly support both.
Next, visit the SSL/TLS section. The following settings should be set:
- Overview: Flexible (Full and Full Strict will not work with Pinecast)
- Edge Certificates: Always use HTTPS and Automatic HTTPS Rewrites: On
On Pinecast, visit your podcast dashboard.
- If you have not already set up a site, visit the Site tab and create a site.
- Visit the Site Builder.
- Switch to the Settings tab, then Custom Domain.
- Set your domain name and save.